Monday, September 3, 2012

It Could Only Be...

Dorothy called me down to the antique mart.
 
"We have a statue for you, but we don't know who it is," she said.
 
They were holding one for me again.
 
 
 
 
With one glance, I knew it was St. Barbara,
 
always pictured with a castle.
 
She is missing a hand, and a sword from the other, I believe, but that's okay.
 
She is a giant antique chalkware piece.  They let me have her for $20.
 
 
 
 
She came home with me that day,
 
and I'll tell you a bit about her.  I had to refresh my own memory with
 
 my saints' book.
 
 
 
 
(My abridged notes)
 
 taken from Novena, The Power of Prayer,
 
By Barbara Calamari and Sandra DiPasqua
 
 
 
 
Barbara was believed to have lived sometime around the 3rd-4th century.
She was born near Persia and her parents were wealthy.  She was their only child.  Because it was
a time of social and political unrest, they had a tower built and Barbara lived there...protected from the world, instructed in school, and with much time to think about everything since she was isolated.
(Kind of like a real Rapunzel).
 
She developed an interest in Christianity, and,
while her parents were away, sent for a new teacher to educate her.
 
He father had been constructing a bathhouse as a gift for her,
and while he was away,
she had the decorative pagan statues detroyed and three windows installed instead
to represent the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
 
 
 
 
Her father returned and was furious that his daughter converted
to Christianity.  He ordered her to be tortured
and then he himself beheaded her with a sword.
 
Immediately afterward, he was struck by lightening
and returned to the earth in a pile of ashes.
 
 
 
 
St. Barbara is know as the patron saint of
sudden death,
invoked for protection against lightening,
artillerymen and bombardments or explosions,
and- for her work on the bathhouse- ahe is also known as the patron saint of architects.
 
She is a popular saint in the
Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church
and her statue guards many homes and businesses
in regions of the world where Christianity tends to be persecuted.
She is a reminder of justice.
Her remains are housed in a church in Egypt.
 
 
 
 
St. Barbara now stands at our front door, too.
 
 
Sharing my St. Barbara with:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


8 comments:

Amy Kinser said...

Love the facts behind your beautiful statue.

So great that the Antique Mart calls you when they have something you like.

Debra@CommonGround said...

She's beautiful, Andrea, and I love hearing the background on the Saints. You are blessing and being blessed by sharing your wonderful collection of Chalkware saints. I have one of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, that I keep in my studio, and love seeing it there each day. xoxo

NanaDiana said...

She is a just gorgeous, Andrea. I can't believe how well her colors have held up over the years. What a wonderful history lesson. I did not know this saint at all. How wonderful that the Mart calls you when they get a piece like this. I am glad she has a place of honor in your home- xo Diana

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

What a beautiful statue. Thanks for giving the history of her. You are lucky to know the owner of the Antique Mart and that she will call you when she has something you like.

Red Rose Alley said...

St. Barbara is beautiful, Andrea. I was not familiar with her, but I am so glad that I learned a bit of her history. That was interesting. She must guard your front door with love. I can't believe she was only $20.00. She is priceless to me.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Ivy and Elephants said...

What fabulous history for a priceless statue. She is just beautiful. What a sacred find. I would love it if you could share this wonderful post at our What’s it Wednesday linky party. I hope you can join us.

Paula
ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

Donna Wilkes said...

Thank you for providing the background for St. Barbara. I love Santos figures and have a few that i used around Christmas. I am never sure if they should be used that way, but they are loved.

Distressed Donna Down Home

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I never heard of St. Barbara before! I just so love hearing, learning about a religion I have practiced my whole life. I can't believe her father hated Christianity so much he would kill his own daughter in such a savage way. Be so careful with this delicate chalk ware piece. A beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...